Thursday, March 6, 2008

BABBS COVERED BRIDGE

I visited Babbs covered bridge on a snowy morning on March 14th.
Babbs covered bridge, built in 1843 is Maine’s oldest covered bridge. It spans 79 feet from the towns of Gorham and Windham over the Presumpscot River. It was unfortunately vandalized and set fire to in 1973 but an exact replica was rebuilt in 1974.
OBSERVATIONS: I noticed 5 cars that went over and through the bridge in the few minutes I was there. It is only wide enough for one vehicle at a time to go through. I walked through the bridge and noticed some graffiti on the inside walls. Although the bridge looked structurally intact, it creaked as I walked over it, and I didn’t think it seemed to be kept in good condition for being an historical or at least a reconstruction of an historical site.

REFERENCES:
http://maine.gov/mdot/covered-bridges/babbs.php



No comments: